Letter to our parents that was received on October 18, 2008:
October 15, 2008 at 2300
Hey Mom and Daddy!
Got your first letters last night – keep them coming! It was a real morale booster to hear from home. I won’t lie – OCS is a lot tougher than I imagined in the mental end. Last night was refreshing though, because after evening chow we had the chance to go to prayer and praise if we so chose. There was singing, a short message from the chaplain, and then time for testimony from the candidates. I am encouraged by the words of a fellow candidate reminding us that we are identified NOT by what our drill instructors are screaming, but that our identity is in Christ alone!
Mom, glad to hear that you passed your accreditation and are showing improvement. Oh, and trust that I am still clanking down the stairs every morning – just in boots, utilities, with a rifle, canteen belt, and a day pack. Keep me posted on my shows, now – especially who wins “Project Runway”! Oh, and my college football scores.
We may get liberty next Saturday evening (not this coming but the following) and I will try to call. However, liberty is at the discretion of the staff so there is no guarantee. Even if yes, I may not be able to leave base yet.
Daddy, I hear you are becoming quite the accomplished maid. Glad the same stuff I left in the fridge won’t be there when I get home! Keep praying for me, I know you more than anyone knows what I am going through right now – physically and mentally! I especially need prayers that I will be able to master climbing the rope. It is essential if I expect to pass OCS!
I am actually in pretty good spirits, especially after receiving letters. Yesterday was first mail call, and we were all glad for what we received. I am trying to maintain and air of peace and thankfulness. I know God is with me and in me, and that I can count on His presence and strength to carry me through. I have some ugly bruises and some cuts, scrapes, and blisters, but am still powering through. Other than the rope, drill is what is hardest for me. Marching, counting, sounding off all at the same time – we all know that grace is not one of my strong points ;)
I haven’t actually tasted any of the food that we have been served. We just shove it all in and run to the next task. Our days are long and busy but that helps make the time go by fast. We are all tired, though, because we spend one-half of time at night preparing for the next day. Night is our only time to study, write letters, etc. – and that is only with a headlamp on and hunkered down in the head (bathroom). We have had a couple of tests this week, so I am about to break-out the books and study before a little sleep and then an hour of firewatch. I will try to write as often as I can, but I can’t promise all will be as long as this correspondence.
I love you and miss you! Thank you for your love, cares, and support.
All my love,
Bo




1 comment:
Hi Leigh,
Erica sent me the link to the blog - I am so excited for you! Looking forward to keeping up with your progress!
Post a Comment