Sunday, October 26, 2008

Update on Leigh

Well, Saturday evening we received another call from Leigh. She sounded exhausted. She said that she is pretty worn-out and very sore. We caught-up on the news from home and she stated how much it meant to her to receive mail. So far, she hasn't received very much and really encouraged us to write as often as possible. I told her of the letters and cards that we had sent and discovered that she hasn't gotten very many of them yet. She said that their mail is being held, so hopefully she will get more of our letters at the next mail call. If you can, please try to send her a brief note because she truly needs encouragement. If you don't have her address, just e-mail me and I will make sure that you get it.

At the onset, there were 84 females in the program. As of now, there are only 38 and at least 5 if not 6 of those plan on dropping-out voluntarily on Monday - the first day that you can voluntarily withdraw from the program. Leigh says she's hanging-in there until they tell her to go home or graduation, whichever occurs first. She specifically requests prayer for next week. They will be doing a 6 miles hike and enduring a very complex obstacle course. She is still having difficulty with the ropes. Also, her legs are so short that she sometimes struggles with the marching in formation because it takes her several steps to equal those of the much taller individuals (she is just a little over 5'1") as well as propelling herself over walls.

I can't imagine being in an environment in which people are yelling all the time and don't think twice about spitting in your face (or in Leigh's case on Saturday morning- in her ear). I told her that these people need to enroll ASAP in a 12 week anger management class. I understand that the purpose is to break the candidates in every way possible but especially mentally, but come on. I guess that is why I am in private practice and not trying to get into the JAG program.

We tried to convey to Leigh how proud we are of her and that we support her completely. She sounded really flat but not defeated. She had to be back on base at 2:00 a.m. on Saturday for firewatch again and then had off base liberty until 2:00 p.m. on Sunday. I know she misses home and we truly do miss her. I cannot even imagine what she is enduring. She is working hard and doing her very best - that's all we can ask of her. We pray for her all day every day.

No comments: