Friday, June 19, 2009

Latest Letter to Dad

Written June 12, 2009. Received June 16, 2009.

Hey Everyone!

Aahh - Training Day 19 is winding down... We had our first inspection after chow this afternoon. Of course, all but 2-3 out of 44 Candidates failed. Apparently, the hanger in my wall locker were improperly spaced, I had Irish Pennants (stray threads) on my cammies, and fly aways from the bun. We had PT this morning and literally had just seconds to wagon-wheel under the showerheads for a "PT shower" before donning our uniforms again. So, we all looked pretty jacked up (with the candidate stench, to boot...)

There is a confirmed case of swine flu in my platoon. The eight of us closest to her rack were pulled out of inspection and sent to medical to be checked out and given preventive meds. So, I get to inhale this yuck-tasting stuff for the next five days, and it is supposed to make us feel kinds crappy - as if we weren't fatigued and achy enough already!

I am in my first billet right now. Until 0500 on Monday morning, I am 3rd squad leader for Charlie Co, 1st platoon. Basically, I am responsible for making sure my squad is squared away, leading them in formation, hurrying thru the chow line - good times and fun stuff.

We have our first written exam tomorrow morning on weapons, safe handling, etc. Looks like, weather holding, we will be drilling a lot the next couple days. I am going to hit the rack and catch some zzz's for now.

All my love,

Bo

No comments: